Saturday, July 18, 2009

A Few More Photos

Saying goodbye to our amazing driver, Beki. We all miss him very much. The kids asked to see a picture of him tonight.





One of the three like our dog, Zeus. The other two squeal when he walks in their direction.




Cinderelli, Cinderelli... we watch it several times a day when the kids aren't out riding their bishkalets (bicycles)!



The last two days have been wonderful in comparison to our first three days home. Tantrums have decreased significantly. The kids are eating so well. We ran into the grocery story today and one of the twins saw radishes and asked to buy them. (Yuck! Radishes!) She said she liked them, so we will see. Either they ate radishes in ET or something that looked similar.


It's been an interesting week. One of my dearest friends was describing how it felt the day you wake up and you don't think of your kids as adopted, they are just your kids. That will be a great day. I so want to "feel" like family and yet I know I can't force it on me or them. It just takes time.

Almost everything is unpacked. My sister is here for the weekend and I think she did at least 10 loads of laundry yesterday. She also organized a menu for next week and helped me keep my head on straight long enough to purchase all the needed groceries. We are amazed at the food consumption around here. My goodness, I've never seen kids put so much food in such little tummies. Hailab has gained almost two pounds! A typical day includes several bananas, apple, peanut butter sandwich, eggs, toast, milk, casserole, salad, fruit salad. We really can almost set our watch to them saying, "I'm hungry" every two hours. My grocery budget requires a complete overhaul. But that is not a complaint! We are so glad to see them eat so well. One of the girls turned her nose up at a small serving of salad one evening. I asked her to take one small bite and then she didn't have to eat anymore. The next time I looked at her plate was clean and she said she liked the salad! I think it was the ranch dressing that she liked!


We're good. Not perfect. Not happy all the time. But happy a lot of the time and that means a whole lot to us.


11 comments:

veggiemom said...

I'm glad to hear things were going so well. If it were perfect all the time, I'd be really worried about you all. Generally good is a great place to be right now. :-)

Unknown said...

Tell Zeus to hang in there, the other two will warm up to him soon enough. We are still praying for you guys and asking that your "family" moment comes at the perfect time. If you ever need anyone at all, even if it is to just order pizza and have it delivered, let me know. Oh...and my mom is a GREAT babysitter! :)

Jena said...

Praising God for progress. It was great to read an update. I know what you mean about all of the feelings. I love Kebeb to pieces, but still does not seem quite real yet. Keep in touch!! Much Love to you, Jena

Jocelyn said...

So happy to hear that things are improving...I love that they are eating so well!!

Blog Shmog said...

Love your honesty Nikki! You guys will get there. It seems you are doing really really well considering you just added 3 kids to your family!!

Farmboy and Buttercup said...

Yes, it definitely does take T.I.M.E. to get the attachment going strong.

Sounds like you are doing great and don't have unrealistic expectations. That will so help!

Adopting older kids is very different from adopting infants, I have heard, especially in the attachment area. We only adopted older, so don't have a lot to compare to, but have learned it is very important to give you and them lots of time to let those bonds get nice and strong.

Take care!

SSU said...

Thank you, Lord, for sisters!!

Unknown said...

Omg the kids are so cute!! I am very very happy for you guys!!! I love you all!!
tell everyone hi!!
-Harmonie H.-

Unknown said...

Oh, my goodness!! Such a beautiful shock! I had no idea all this was going on til Linda sent your link tonight! I'm so, speechless, I guess. Happy, excited, proud, tearful, thankful--

Congratulations on your expansion!
Love,
(cousin) Ann

Eastiopians said...

I just love your family. I loved that you spoke honestly about the feeling of "adoption" still being there and that one day in the future you'll wake up and not feel that way. That is pretty powerful stuff. Hugs to you all. Thanks for your post!

Theresa

Shalisa said...

Sister, I just got home and want you to know I am honored and blessed to have had the privledge to love you and your family this weekend. The constant laundry was just like old times (and I loved doing it)! You know I am only a phone call away when you need me. Can't wait for B and G to meet your youngest kids!

I LOVE YOU ALL!
Anut Sisa