Monday, July 20, 2009

Beginning Week Three

It's hard to believe that we became a family of seven just two short weeks ago. Madison left for church camp this morning. The kids asked where she was when they woke up. I got out the calendar and showed them today was Monday and that Madison would be back on Friday. They asked me several times, "Madison go and then come? Yes? Madison go and them come home?" Then we counted the days and they were happy to know Madison would be home in four days. It's Mad's first time away for a week and I think I will miss her terribly! She was so excited to go and I pray it will be a fun and rich time for her. I am amazed at how big she is getting. She is such a wonderful helper with the kids. It's a little hard for her to not hold Hailab, but she understands how important it is for our new kids to look to Dustin and me to meet their needs physically and emotionally.




Dustin's parents invited us for dinner tonight. They cooked fish that Dustin's dad caught in a nearby lake. Dustin's parents also have a really pretty fish pond in their yard. The kids loved looking at and feeding the goldfish in the pond. When we were telling the kids we were having fish for dinner, Yeabsira pointed to the pond, made a slicing motion across her neck and pointed to her mouth. She was asking me if we were eating the fish in the pond. I assured her no, we were not eating the goldfish. It was pretty humorous!







Our biggest struggle today was again, battle of the wills. Simple requests like, "It's time to brush our teeth!" or "It's time to take a bath!" are often met with a pout and someone sitting down and refusing to move. Sometimes I am able to love the child through the pout/tantrum/meltdown and other times my own frustration gets the best of me. The times that I am able to quietly say, "O.K. Stay here if you like but we are going to do _______" often end up with the best results. A few things that were always met with resistance, like asking the kids to go to the potty before we get in the car or potty before we go to bed, are slowly easing up. It's a good feeling.


Our biggest joy today was unprompted kindness, a surprise kiss and a fun time on the bed (all of us except Madison) before reading a book.


Sage was such a ham when he was younger. It's fun to have another little ham in the house again:







13 comments:

bekah said...

Thanks for the photos, stories, honesty and updates. I love following your story of going from 2 kids to 5 kids! So awesome. I'm praying for you guys.

veggiemom said...

Love the pics and updates on the kids!!! Madison will do great at camp! I'm glad you're finding a good way to work with the stubborness.

Unknown said...

Still praying for you every day. Thank you for the love, the truth and the devotion to your kids!
Call if you need anything.

Love ya,

Lindsey

Brenda said...

Thanks for the welcoming comment...Your family is beautiful!

coffeemom said...

Nikki, LOVE seeing and reading all this. You have totally been on my mind (and prayers)!!!! Sounds like you are doing so well, I'm impressed. You have a beautiful family, perfect fit, whether it feels natural yet or not. Happy happy to see these posts! Love M

Sara said...

Thanks for posting! I love reading how your journey is unfolding! Madison will love camp! She'll probably be sad that she has to leave and come home on Friday!

Meredith said...

Much much love from the Smith family to the Snow clan! You all have been on my mind and I am loving reading the updates!

Kristy -Mom To 9 Blessings said...

It's so great hearing from you andf seeing all of the beautiful photos of your children! Your family remains in my prayers!
Blessings,
Kristy

Unknown said...

Aww.. they are the sweetest looking kids I have ever seen!!! Glad everything is working out!

-Harmonie Huggins-

Rebecca said...

I'm sure Madison will be sorely missed this week. She really is a beautiful little lady!

I'm glad you're sharing your experiences with adopting older children. I'm sure you guys are going through quite the transition now. I can't wait to see how things look for you guys in the next few months!

P.S. It still makes me want to cry every time I see a picture of your new family!

Paul and Angela said...

so adorable!

Lakeshore Cottage Living said...

Glad to hear things are going ok..it takes a while Nikki...hang in there. 6 months is what I tell adoptive families...before it feels "normal". I know that seems like a long time right now, but it goes by quickly.

LOVE the pictures! So sweet and the fish pond story is really funny.haha.LOL

These kids are so blessed and I know God is blessing you through all of this as well. Sometimes it takes time to see all of the blessings and sometimes HE throws them right up in front of you..like a kiss or a hug.

One day at a time...I think there is a song? ;)

XXX

Kristine

Kristy -Mom To 9 Blessings said...

Thank you so so so so much for the photos! My e-mail is messed up so I can't access it right now to write more about those cherished photos and I only had time to type a quick thanks the other day. Thanks for that precious gift! :-)