Thursday, March 19, 2009

Star Struck in Fort Worth

Yep, that's me.  Star struck.  By Gladney folk, of course!

We were so glad to travel to Fort Worth last night for an Ethiopian meal at the Gladney Center.  There are so many heroes and stars in the adoption community and it was so wonderful to get to meet a few of them.  Stars like Rebecca, JanaLori and Jami.  And also to see Eli and Rebecca again!  Eli is fast tracking to rock star status himself as the "cover model" on a new Gladney video of Ethiopia.

And then there were the stars and heroes that we met like Belay Tafesse and his family, along with Travis and Joanna Norwood.  We introduced ourselves to Belay and he knew right away who our kids were without us saying their names.  This is a man who works with hundreds of people in Ethiopia and he knew the connection between our children and us.  He sure knows how to make a person feel special!

And last, but not least, was the wonderful Mary T.  Mary has been so completely professional, prompt, helpful and honest with every step of our adoption process.  However, last night we saw her love and passion for Ethiopia's children in living color.  She is the real deal.  We researched agencies and all of our studies and reading led us to Gladney.  We initially thought we wanted to work with more of a faith based agency, but are so glad that we get to share this adoption experience with the people of Gladney.  To see Gladney staff tear up over the Ethiopian video really touched Dustin and me.  These people work in adoptions every day and yet it doesn't feel like it is just a job to them.  Sure, it's work and work isn't always fun but we saw hearts passionate for children to become loved by forever families.

So yes, we were star struck by those people with whom we share a common bond and heart for Ethiopia and for adoption.

8 comments:

Lori S said...

YOU are also a star!! I wish we lived closer!! I would love for our children to grow up together! I loved seeing Belay--a most amazing man, and Mary--such an awesome person and caseworker! I enjoyed working with the Gladney agency and appreciate all that they stand for!

bekah said...

Nikki-
Thanks for the comment on my blog. We were at the Fort Worth dinner last week too! We were at table 7. I didn't blog about it b/c we have friend in the DFW area who didn't know about our quick trip (from Arkansas) for the dinner. Anyway, now I wish we had met! Where are you at in the court process?

Lisa said...

Thanks Nikki for posting a comment on my blog welcoming me into the blogging community!

Troy said...

hey there ... congrats on a great court date :)

We've turned Wednesdays into fast/pray Wednesdays so I will add you to my list for all paperwork to be completed, for favor in front of the judge, and for our Lord to go before us and fight the battles that only He can...

Rebecca said...

It was fun visiting with you guys at the dinner! Really sweet of you to mention Eli in your post. Of course, I am a proud mom :) Can't wait to hang out with you all again!

Adoption Cubed said...

It was wonderful to meet you guys in person! Our family always loves getting back to the Gladney campus. So many amazing people that we have worked with over the years. You're right - their passion and love for what they do really shows.
Rebecca

Neil, Amy and The Girls said...

How cool! I so wish we could have gone to the dinner.

Ali said...

I just love Gladney! They are the best! I went there on Monday & didn't even know that we were already matched with a 12 day old little boy! We are adopting domestically throught their ABC program. I was dropping off the rest of our family profiles, little did I know we didn't need them! We recieved a call from our case worker yesterday morning telling us It's a Boy!!! Placement to follow in 2 wks :) We get to speak to our Birthmother tomorrow by telephone & I am nervous! I love the hair day photo!
Ali